The Derawar For is a very large fortress which can be seen from many miles away from the Cholistan Desert which is located in Bahawalpur, Pakistan. There are a total of forty bastion and the walls have a circumference of 1500 meters and are thirty meters tall.
While the first fort was built by Rai Jajja Bhati of Jaisalmer and remained in the grip of the royal family of Jaisalmer till it was captured and completely rebuilt by the nawabs of Bahawalpur in 1733 than after nearly a decade in 1747, the fort slipped out of the hands of the Abbasis as Bahawal Khan was occupied at Shikarpur but than Nawab Mubarak Khan retook it in 1804.
Royal graveyard of the Abbasi family is also within the fort walls while a mosque was modeled upon the Red Fort of Delhi.
While the area is rich in archaeological artifacts which also are associated with Ganweriwala which belongs to the city of Indus Valley Civilization, both remained unexplored whereas the city of Indus Valley Civilization is not even excavated.
The nearby mosque was modeled after that in the Red Fort of Delhi. There is also a royal graveyard of the Abbasi family, which still owns the stronghold. The area is rich in archaeological artifacts associated with Ganweriwala, a vast but as-yet-unexcavated city of the Indus Valley Civilization.
View Larger Map