Forums > General Talks > When it comes to relationships do ultimatums ever work?
  • Page 1 of 1
waheedanjum

4650 days old here
Total Posts: 317

Subject : When it comes to relationships do ultimatums ever work?
Once you’re past the ‘floating on a fluffy cloud’ honeymoon stage of love, relationships are about hard work and compromise. From rows over laundry to family commitments, the road to ‘happy ever after’ is filled with little battles to overcome. But sometimes, no matter how much effort we put in, certain grievances can’t be solved with compromise, a cup of tea and a cuddle. So is it ever acceptable to give your man an ultimatum?

1. The marriage ultimatum
To say ‘I do’ or not to say ‘I do’ is a very common road block for couples. If you want to get married and he’s less keen, you might be tempted to throw him an ultimatum. “Marry me or watch me leave.” Realistically, these kind of ultimatums never work. If he does pop the question, you’ll always be wondering if he really wanted to it and if he doesn’t, it’ll ruin your relationship for good. Instead of challenging him find out why he’s against marriage. If it turns out he never wants to walk down the aisle, you’ll have to decide whether it’s the right relationship for you.

2. The holiday ultimatum
When you’re both used to jetting off with friends, it can be hard to make time to travel as a couple. If your boyfriend is keen to go away on a lad’s holiday rather than take a break with you, don’t lay an ultimatum down straight away. Try suggesting he go for a long weekend with friends instead to make sure he’s got time to invest in your relationship. If it gets to the stage where you feel you need an ultimatum, it’s probably a sign things aren’t right.

3. The job ultimatum
If your man is a workaholic it can put a serious strain on a relationship. Whilst a ‘quit your job or lose me’ ultimatum isn’t fair and will never work, it might be fair to say ‘work less or lose me’. Either it will give him the push he needs to put more time into his relationship, or it will show that he loves his work more than you. Either way, you’ll get the answer you need.

4. The moving ultimatum
Moving is a stressful time in any relationship. But when one partner is keen to move and the other isn’t, it makes things almost impossible. You can’t force someone to relocate but if you’re really keen to persuade your other half, suggest going for a short time. Two years sounds much less scary than ‘never coming back’.

5. The family ultimatum
Whether it’s religious differences or they just don’t like you, family rows can drive a huge wedge between any couple. If he’s constantly siding with his parents or siblings over you, it may be time to have a little chat. Providing you’ve done your best to form a relationship with his family, there’s no reason he shouldn’t see your side of the story. If he’s still not willing to put you first, or at least consider your feelings, it may be time to move on.

no likes.

Posted on October, 11 2012 12:18:43 PM

taimoorkhan

4091 days old here
Total Posts: 2257

mere pas abi time ni bad ma paro ga ap ka ye post ap itne lambe post Q krte ha

no likes.

Posted on April, 09 2013 06:56:31 PM

Saim44

4067 days old here
Total Posts: 2775

main taimoor bhai se iktifa krn ga......

no likes.

Posted on April, 09 2013 07:12:01 PM

• Page 1 of 1